21 June 2015

[Ramadhan Series] Day 5 : Learn How to be Productive at Work / School on Ramadhan


So, today I got a chance to join a webinar by ProductiveMuslim.com entitled Work Productive on Ramadhan. When I got an email from them that I can join this webinar for free, I got very excited because this is what I need the most.

Of course everybody know that we have to fasting in Ramadhan and some (or most) people thought that it will decrease our energy level and can't be productive, so then it's okay to be lazy around and not doing something productive. Unfortunately, non-muslims tend to relate Ramadhan with the laziness of muslims. we don't want to be related with lazy, right?

So, I want to give the summary of the webinar into this article and hope it can help you guys a lot in your daily basis on Ramadhan and get the most out of it.

There are three kinds of Muslims on Ramadhan :



1. The Career Focus

Muslims who focus on their career or school activity on Ramadhan, just like on other months. And not make the most out of Ramadhan. So, their ibadah is less than their work.

2. Ramadhan Focused

Muslims who focus on Ramadhan only. They focus on gaining relationship with Allah SWT. They didn't do their job like usual or go to school. Only ibadah on this month.

3. The Survivors
Muslims who can balancing between The Career Focus and Ramadhan Focus. So, they tend to do both in balancing time. But, mostly, not related with each other.

Which one do you think is you?

So, there is another term that ProductiveMuslim.com have, which is The Productive Muslim Workforce

In Islamic point of view, Work is inside Spirituality. Why?

Work is a means to our sustenance to help us fulfill our obligations and live a dignified life. As an example, Prophet Daud a.s. who was the richest man, he works then became rich, Rasulullah Muhammad SAW also an entrepreneur who works to fulfill his duty as the man in the family and live a dignified life.

Work is a testing ground for our Islamic manners and ethics.  We already knew how to be a great Muslims not only from Qur'an but also Hadist. But, we can't only 'know' that but we have to implement all of those manners and ethics. That's what one of the purpose of work. How we develop relationship with others, be discipline, etc.

Work is where we add value to humanity. We work to do something for the company, instead of building a product or managing something. All of that is because company want to make something that can be sold to people. That product is of course might be useful for others. So, working is one way to be useful to others.

The next question is... your work is a Job, Career, or Calling

Imam Al-Ghazali ever mentioned three types of people :
1. Distracted by the Dunya
2. Distracted by the Akhira
3. Dunya supports Akhira and Akhira supports Dunya

Indeed, I believe many people is one who distracted by the Dunya ( only works and live the life on eart and never think about life in akhira) or distracted by the Akhira (only ibadah and forget to work and be the man of the family). And I also believe that all Muslims in the world want to be in the 3rd category. But how Dunya supports Akhira and Akhira supports Dunya?

We have to know the meaning of Ibadah. Ibadah is not only Pray 5 times a day and sunnah prayer, recite Qur'an, become Hafidz / Hafidzah, help others in need, Hajj, always in mosque, etc. But working is also ibadah. Go to school is also ibadah. Provide foods and money for family is also ibadah. Be discipline at work is also ibadah.

So, with that state of mind... we can start to balance ibadah for Akhira and ibadah for Dunya.

There is a question that might be helped you understand... How is your work part of your spiritual development? think about this for a moment.

So, How Ramadhan boost your work productivity?

Basically you have to understand first that Ramadhan is the month of Barakah. The month of blessings that Allah gave to us. So, why don't we ask Allah to give blessings in our work or our opportunity or our business or anything ?

Ramadhan is actually can help us to learn to be focus on what we did. Maybe some people might not agree because they might think that because they didn't eat they will loose focus. But, that's not what Ramadhan meant. Before Ramadhan, we tend to do things that unnecessary in life like watch movies, listening to music, and eating. But during Ramadhan, we decrease all of that. Allah gives us more time to focus on our ibadah in our work and Ramadhan is the month to learn focus.

Discipline is another key. Being discipline is part of Islamic manners and ethics. Ramadhan also taught us to be discipline during our fasting. For example when we are fasting, we have to fast not only for our stomach but also heart. How to maintain our heart is part of the discipline. So, when you want to boost your productivity during ramadhan, being discipline is a key. Discipline to time management.

And how to make it as a routine... How to Build a Productivity Work / Life Routine During Ramadhan?

There are three keys to make productivity lifestyle as a routine, so that it's not only work on Ramadhan but also after Ramadhan.

1. Understand your Roles

We have roles in our life. For example for me, as a wife, daughter, sister, teacher, friend, muslimah, business woman, student, and worker. Too much? maybe not. Because everybody have their own roles in their life. So, what's yours? Understand your roles and how many time you spend for each of your roles, help you manage your daily productivity.

I will make myself as an example in this case.

So, we have to make priority based on roles but doesn't mean the first priority is closing other priority. Roles as a Muslimah is number one because it represents our relationship with Allah SWT. Then, because I already married, the second roles is as a wife, how I spend my time with my husband and my responsibility to him. Third role is as a daughter to my parents, am I already spent enough time with them, am I call them enough, or are they already happy with what I did. Fourth role is a sister, on how my relationship with my sisters and brother, is it need more time to be spent together with and we can be stronger as ever. Next role is as a friend, did I already have a good relationship with my friends, or do I have to have an iftar party for them in our house. Because I'm a student, I have to think about my research and how I spend my time for my research, is it already balanced with other roles. Become a business woman is a challenged because I didn't spent my full time on it, so I have to think again about the meaning in this business. And I also a worker, even it's just a part-time job I have to think about my discipline, did I already good at work or need improvement, is my boss ok with my job or not, and something like that.

So, you get what I meant in here? maybe you can start think first on your roles before you continue reading.

2. Set your Goals

After you understand your roles, you can start to set your goals for each roles. For example, as a Muslimah I want to set goals in this Ramadhan that I want to finish reading Qur'an and understand the meaning of Surah Al-Kahf. As a wife, I want to prepare iftar and sahoor everyday for my husband. As a student, I want to finish my research model this month.

Or you also can set goals based on three things, which are Spiritual Goals, Social Goals, and Physical Goals. These goals can help you stay focus and discipline throughout the month and get ready to continue set another goals when Ramadhan end.

3. Build a Routine

If you try to get your goals on daily basis, it means you build it as a routine. Don't be lazy because it will not going to help you come across your goals.

4. Review Daily

At the end of the day you should review daily on what you already did that day. Is there anything special? How's your life going on Ramadhan? Are you already follow on your routine?

With reviewing, you can see what improvement you already did and what need to be done tomorrow.

I understand that make goals as routine is not easy. I also ever experienced it and I need tools to help me with that. I've ever mentioned in many articles about how to be productive using planners. If you need that, you can download it for free in this link.

Or you also can use several apps for your phone if you don't like papers. Like for example Todoist, Evernote, etc. 

For your Ramadhan, I suggest you to use app called Ramadhan Legacy. It can help you track your daily ibadah routine on Ramadhan.

Okay... so... hope this summary of the webinar on ProductiveMuslim.com help you guys on your work productivity during Ramadhan. InshaAllah.

Wish we can get the most out of Ramadhan and Allah blesses us with Barakah on this month and after.

Jazakallahu Khairan Katsiran.


Intan Web Developer

A Wife and PhD candidate to-be in National Taiwan University of Science and Technology. Dreamer, Writer, Traveller, and Tech Addict. Like to travel everywhere and experience anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anda bisa memasukkan komentar tentang postingan di sini...Terima Kasih ^.^