14 September 2012

"This is for Ladies" - Amal Kassir


Aku tidak sengaja membuka sebuah postingan seorang kawan Love yang berisikan sebuah pesan untuk para wanita. Dan aku bener-bener takjub. Diem. I can't say anything. Kayak serasa dihujam anak panah begitu denger Amal Kassir melantunkan puisinya...

I represent the political party
That stands on behalf of the half-naked Barbie
I represent the woman of the twenty-first century
And this woman is everything
Except for her dignity...

I represent the oppression
Thats been painted pink
Where my body wings
And my voice just shrinks.


I represent the fact
That I don’t even have to think
I can manipulate a gentleman
With just my flirty wink


I represent the degrading
That we, the women, are facing
On our own accord
I’m sat with the so-called feminists
That are also fashion magazine whores

I’m marching with the ladies
Who fight for their right
Except they’re slowing me down just a little
Because I think their jeans are too tight

I represent the rape and
The pain
The sliced wrists
The prostitute’s pay
The boyfriend’s choke
His many many games
Sticking my finger down my throat so that I can look okay

All of the tearsAnd all of the cries
That came from the hardship
Of trying to please the guys

I represent the freedom of choosing
To be enslaved by this patriarchal system
That robs me day by day

I represent the hatred
I’ve got for the mirror
And the naked girl on the front cover
And the cancer for the big breast endeavor
And I represent the advertisement that claims its all better

I’m the revolution of womankind
I’m here to change a system thats kept us blind!
Take off all your clothes, ladies, and you will live the life!
Except there’s just a couple of guidelines that you should probably know:
You gotta flirt, walk, talk, dress, know exactly where to go
Here, take my copy of Cosmo;
“50 Things He Wants To See In Bed”
50 things I think you misread
You’re doing something wrong
You’re not skinny enough
And your chest is way too small
Plus you’re covering too much
Darling, I really don’t see how you could move along
Without investing in this kind of stuff
Because otherwise,
How is anyone supposed to validate that ass?
Oh, ha, by the way, you’re not showing enough ass

I really do apologizeI know
I’m not showing enough skin for you
And I should know better than to think this body is mine
I was sent down here to live out the Secret of Victoria
I have the freedom to succumb to your fashion magazines
And submit myself to your fantasies
But if I choose anything other than that?
Then I guess I’m oppressedI have the right to wear whatever I want
But only if it has the length of a minidress
But this shirt here thats to my knees and hides my figure?
They want me to get that off my body
How am I going to be a pretty, air-headed figure?
And these coloured scarves don’t seem to aesthetically cut it
They want to see extensions, hair dyes
They want to see my hair gutted
And apparently my posture is not womanly,
And my face isn’t the prettiest, unfortunately
But  I was just wondering if someone could please tell me:
Who the HELL decided that I was ugly?

Is my face really not good enough for you to just look at me?
Do I really need to take off all my clothes to get a job in any industry?
Why aren’t my eyes beautiful enough to just be clean?
Instead of having to paint them with guano to enhance the green?

Call me a fool
Cause I’m not drowning in any man’s drool
But I will never get down on my knees
To be in a Pretty in Pink commercial footstool

I have so much sadness for my ladies
Where is the respect?
Why have you forgotten your value and, instead, have wept?
They’ve drugged you with this illusion that you’re not good enough
But break away
Because this struggle doesn’t have to last forever
Follow me
I’ll take you on this liberating endeavor
Because I represent the right to the body
And I stand on behalf of the body’s liberty
I represent the real woman
In the most raw form
With no need for cosmetics
Or weight loss reform

And, mainstream,Here’s to you,You can go ahead and call me a girl who’s oppressed
But I assure you
The weight of that institutionalized word
Will not make me expose my chest
I am already perfect
And I will cover so you can’t see
I am damn happy living with my
Dignity”

- amal kassir-



Intan Web Developer

A Wife and PhD candidate to-be in National Taiwan University of Science and Technology. Dreamer, Writer, Traveller, and Tech Addict. Like to travel everywhere and experience anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anda bisa memasukkan komentar tentang postingan di sini...Terima Kasih ^.^