29 April 2016

Hei Again, Blog! Time Management is hard...


It has been six months since the last time I wrote a blog post. A lot of things happen, especially in how life goes by. Sounds cheesy but it's true. haha

I've been work on some projects, classes, research, organization stuff, and any other important things that make my life super busy in these six months. Even when I write this now, I tried very hard to have time to write even one post. I still have a lot of things need to be handled after I write this blog post.

But when I think about what topic I should choose for today, I do not have any idea. I just couldn't think of one. But then, I got an email from one of my blog readers, she asked me about how life's going, how's my study, and how I manage my time well in my busy life. That's when I realize I have to write about this. Time Management.
Honestly, it's hard to explain how I manage my time because it's all about learned from mistakes. For instance, I learned that I can't say "yes" to everything that my friends asked me to do because it will make my day a lot busier than ever. From mistakes, I can give some suggestions for everybody who needs my help to manage their time.

1. Plan Your Day Every Morning

If you are one of my blog readers, you already knew that I love planners. I always bring my planner everywhere I go and always write everything that I have to do in the day or following days. You don't have to have a good, bling, or colorful planners to plan your day. You just need a notebook (small one) that you can carry wherever you go and fill with your To Do List.

Start with answering this question, "What are the most important things to do today?"

For example, your answers are "Go to classes,  Meet with Emma, and Do homework."

Then, you just have to make the details of those answers, like "Go to Statistic class at 9.15 am in A Building" or "Meet with Emma at 12.30 in Starbucks, have lunch together, bring our project paper."

So, why you have to do this every morning?

Well... as my experience told me, in the morning (after Shubuh prayer usually) is the best time to make use of your brain and start planning your day. Your mind is fresh, and your body is fresh too, after got a nice fresh morning air and water. You can do this after Fajr prayer like I said before if you are Muslim, and if not, you can try to wake up around 5 am in the morning. After a nice bath and refreshing a cup of water, you can start to plan your day before do your daily routine.

Todo List by : LivreTheBooks on Etsy

2. Bring your Planner Everywhere

Like I said, a planner is essential when it's small enough to be placed in your bag. You will need this all the time if you want to have a better time management.

Let's say... you meet a friend for dinner. Then, suddenly he/she said that there's a great gag night that they want to attend with you next Saturday. When you have your planner, you can quickly put the schedule on so that you will not going to forget what will you do on next Saturday. And also, if you already have a plan in that night, you can also directly tell your friend that you can't go and maybe change the date.

Another example, in class, when the teacher told you about homework that has a different deadline than it used to be. For instance, the teacher usually asked everybody to hand in the homework on D-1. But then, suddenly the teacher told you to hand-in on D-3. You absolutely don't want to miss the deadline, right? The planner is the solution.

3. Say "No" if You Already Booked

Sometimes, saying "No" to your friend, teacher, family, or anyone that needs your help to do something is hard. I understand it very much because that's what happen to me a year ago. But then, I realized, if I always say "yes" when still have a lot of things to be handled, I will be messed up.

Start to say something like "Hey I'd like to help but sorry on that day I have other things to do and I'm afraid I can't help you."

I believe they will understand and will not going to push you to do whatever they want you to do. If they still insist, you can show them your planner.

4. Use Productivity App

If you think planner is for a girly girl, you can choose a productivity app instead of a paper planner. There are a lot of app that you can find on Google Play or App Store. You just to find the best one for you. Build-in app also good, because usually they already provided you with a lot of functionality for planning your day.

5. Be Consistent

You already have your planner or app, you already said "No" when you can't do something, then the most important thing is "Be Consistent"

You have stick on your schedule on the day. If you can't do it, promise that you will do it in the first place in the following morning. It will be useless if you have planner but you don't stick to it, isn't it?


I think that's all I can share wit you today. I hope that I can post some new stuff next week. I will try my best to keep posting about life and productivity as a Muslim, an international student, a wife, and a traveller.

Please have comments below about your thoughts in productive life. :)
Intan Web Developer

A Wife and PhD candidate to-be in National Taiwan University of Science and Technology. Dreamer, Writer, Traveller, and Tech Addict. Like to travel everywhere and experience anything.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there !! First I wanted to say that you have a great blog and seriously, this is really convenient for us, I have seen many blog talking about productivity but I think this is one is my favorite !! JazakAllahou khayran :)

    ReplyDelete

Anda bisa memasukkan komentar tentang postingan di sini...Terima Kasih ^.^