05 May 2015

The Moments when I'm addicted to Starbucks


Everybody knows Starbucks...the biggest coffee shop chain in the world. Before I went to Taiwan almost 3 years ago, I've never every buy any kind of products from Starbucks. Because like most of the people said in Indonesia, Starbucks is only for rich people. Of course because it's expensive for a cup of coffee. My mom even can make more delicious coffee at home with cost less than 10.000 rupiah or less than $1. But, it changed now...

My impression when I saw a LOT of Starbucks shop in Taiwan is...weird. Why...there are so many Starbucks in Taiwan? Why oh Why? It's weird because Taiwanese has 7-11 and FamilyMart where we can find coffee too (the taste also nice for me), and these stores can be found in almost anywhere.

So... I decided to try one cup of coffee in Starbucks near my campus...I think 2 years ago. When I saw the price, I thought that it's not expensive when I use Taiwan Dollar. But, when I compare the price to Rupiah, of course it's expensive. I realized that is because of the culture where people at. Let me give you an example.

Green Tea Latte (which I like the most) has price NT$ 135 for Grande or Medium size. It's equal with Rp 54.000 if we use Rp 400 currency per NT$1. But, when I bought it in Starbucks Indonesia, the price is almost Rp 70.000 as far as I remember. Using that price in Indonesia...it's crazy! Many people will not going to buy with that price. That's why Indonesian said it's only for rich people.

But, when we talk about the culture in Taiwan, $135 is not expensive for a cup of coffee or latte. They don't have any coffee plantation and they have to import first from Indonesia or Africa, not like in Indonesia where we can find cheap good quality coffee almost anywhere. Taiwanese also like to hanging around with their friends after school or work, and Starbucks is the place. Because not many cafe can be found in Taiwan, except big cities like Taipei and Kaohsiung.

At first, I didn't have any addiction with Green Tea Latte (I only buy this in Starbucks). But after I married and stay in Hsinchu City, I've became bored all the time and my destination to waste my time is in Starbucks near my home. hahaha I already tried several other menu but I only like Green Tea Latte. I don't know why. Maybe because I found out that Indonesian coffee is better rather than drink instant Indonesian coffee in Taiwan. hahaha

My addiction of Green Tea Latte became worst because I usually go back and forth from Hsinchu to Taipei when I have class... and I don't like to use bus because I will get a seasick (or roadsick? haha)...and I need something hot. In the bus station, one thing that I can found faster is Starbucks. =.="

That's why almost every time I went to Taipei, I always buy Green Tea Latte to make my stomach and head better.

I think it's not like an addiction because if I didn't drink it, I would not going to have a headache or something like that. But, maybe it's because my need to stay awake after long trip using bus and spent my day when I didn't go to school.

I remember when my sister ever said to me that I'm crazy to buy Starbucks in Indonesia. =.=" She said "you're wasting your money". Yeah, sometimes I agree with that when I'm in Indonesia. But when I'm in Taiwan, I will say to her I don't agree. Because I will buy when I need it, not to buy this all the time. It's impossible for me to buy any kind of food or drinks when I don't have money, right? haha

So...the point is...my addiction is not an addiction. It's a need of tea with milk (a.k. latte) not coffee.
Intan Web Developer

A Wife and PhD candidate to-be in National Taiwan University of Science and Technology. Dreamer, Writer, Traveller, and Tech Addict. Like to travel everywhere and experience anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anda bisa memasukkan komentar tentang postingan di sini...Terima Kasih ^.^